Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Would Jesus vote?

So the basis for my interest in reading this book is that for the past few months as the election draws near I have been torn in my thoughts. As stupid as it sounds the commercial phrase "What Would Jesus Do" keeps resonating in my head. I have asked pretty much every professional religious person I know what I should do and asked the question:

Would Jesus vote?

The views have been varying as expected although the right to vote has been maintained by all. One persons response was to vote along with their personal experience making them, in most cases, a single issue voter. Another followed the concept that they try to vote for the person who would bring the greatest good to the largest amount of people. It was also a common conclusion that indeed Jesus probably would not vote. We are limited in our knowledge of Jesus' complete decision process, but we do know the following stories:

Matthew 22:15-22 (biblegateway.com)
15Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. 16They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. 17Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?" 18But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19Show me the coin used for paying the tax." They brought him a denarius, 20and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?"
21"Caesar's," they replied. Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." 22When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.

Matthew 17:24-27 (biblegateway.com)
24After Jesus and his disciples arrived in Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma tax came to Peter and asked, "Doesn't your teacher pay the temple tax?"
25"Yes, he does," he replied. When Peter came into the house, Jesus was the first to speak. "What do you think, Simon?" he asked. "From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes—from their own sons or from others?"
26"From others," Peter answered. "Then the sons are exempt," Jesus said to him. 27"But so that we may not offend them, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours."

In these passages Jesus spurns the idea of dealing with taxes/money, we can resolve that it is an earthly concept. Further, we can probably come to a reasonable conclusion that it is an earthly requirement to deal with these issues ourselves. Of course this is all followed by:

Romans 13:1-7 (biblegateway.com)
1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

My early conclusion is that of course Jesus would not vote and would not concern himself with the matter. Of course my reason for asking this question is to arrive at the point that if we are to live like Jesus, literally, what should our decision be?

-LD Jackson

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I asked this question to various people and a lot of them tell me that dealing with government is a matter of conscience.

In the Romans passage, it talks about governments are ordained to do good, but what if the establishment is not doing good? What if they're spreading evil? There are plenty of stories in the scripture that speak of Godly men and women sticking it to the man.

Nate said...

"Jesus for President" has some quotes from early Christians.

A Christian named Origen says, "Christians not only refused military service, but would not accept public office nor assume any responsibility for the governing of the cities... By elevating the status of their society to devine status, they set up a rival to the one high God who watched over the empire."

Anonymous said...

Come on guys, I think it's obvious, a man dying for a cause bigger than himself, for freedom, for peace,I could easily be describing Jesus or a soilder. On that fact alone I think Jesus would vote. I don't think Jesus would take any of His freedom for granted and I'm ashamed that you would even consider it.


Now let me remove my tongue from my cheek for a minute to say that I could see Jesus having dinner with the candidates but I have a hard time seeing Him vote for them.

Anonymous said...

Here's an awesome video I found. I heard the song on our local Christian station. It's by a group called the Go Fish Guys.

My Favorite line of all is "My country is the best, and this is how I know. Everybody wants in but nobody wants to go." I challenge you to argue that point.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Jabw2yD9M

Nate said...

Hey, shane has a pretty good discussion on Romans 13 in the book. I think it's appendix 3 in the back.